Monday, September 12, 2011

Don't hold on to anger for too long

For some reason, I was thinking about this this morning. You know how when someone does something to hurt you, and you hold on to the anger for so long that in the end you cannot even remember what you were angry about ? Yeah, that's the kind of thing I had in mind.

Of course anger is a legitimate feeling. It can't be helped, and I would even dare to say that it's sometimes healthy. As much as I claim to be a fun and happy person, I will confess freely that I do get angry from time to time, however, as I do not believe in the phrase "Revenge is a dish best served cold" , I decided a long time ago that "giving up" without forgetting was the best option for me.

My blood pressure would go up. I would get more headaches. I would be unhappy most of the time, and people could tell. I was NOT a person you would like to hang out with for a while. More withdrawn, sadder, I did not know how to appreciate life around me.

I have no idea when this all changed. It took me a while to become so "zen" about things (I am not  a zen person at all, heh) that I can now get angry, think about it (those "heat of the moment" arguments are the worst, I think) , and get over it within a day or two. And then, I simply remember and may, from time to time, mention the events again, but in that detached "look what I saw here here and here" way, when you tell friends about some new things you have discovered.

Being angry all the time is counter-productive. Just like being stressed about everything all the time will never help. I am still not as calm and relaxed about things as I wish I was, but the good news is, for me at least, that I am getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment